Saturday 1 June 2013

Creatively cognisant

I don't blog much... but that is stating the obvious...

I have been working away producing my upgrade document, which in effect I pulled together in a year as a part time student, with a full time job. I recently had my interview and I am really hoping I have done enough.

Since last blogging, I have made some strides forward. I have joined a black women in academia group; this has been a lifeline for me in some respects because a PhD is definitely the 'self-imposed exile' I was warned about and pushing the idea of a study that focuses on a 'Black British' perspective in an academic capacity produces its own challenges.

Despite this however, I push forward. I was fortunate enough to guest lecture on contextualising Grime in March for level 5 (2nd year) undergraduates at Canterbury University. I contributed towards a final year dissertation on Grime for a student from City University. I was fortunate enough to have been offered a platform to be a role model in the Yaaya project. Lastly, I have been given two more opportunities in the near future to present aspects of my research. Slowly but surely I am establishing myself as a serious academic and my work online has consistently been accessed from around the world since being uploaded about 3 years ago... I just have to keep chipping away...


No comments:

Post a Comment